Category Archives: urbex

Rank Hovis Flour Mill

If you have ever eaten bread in Britain, chances are you’ve tasted the output of Hull’s Rank Hovis Flour Mill. The facility opened in 1952 as Clarence Mill and closed in 2005. This mill was a direct replacement for one on … Continue reading

Posted in urbex | Tagged

South Tyneside College

This is the Hebburn campus of South Tyneside College, which closed in 2011 owing to unsustainable upkeep costs. The full site was demolished in 2015.

Posted in urbex | Tagged

Clasper Village Estate

For over five years Gateshead Council has been forcibly rehousing the residents of the Clasper Village Estate on the banks of the River Tyne. The estate was built in the 1960s and within 30 years had succumbed to problems created … Continue reading

Posted in urbex | Tagged

Victoria Viaduct

The Victoria Viaduct spans the River Wear and was originally part of the Durham Junction Railway, later becoming part of the Leamside line. The bridge was opened in 1838 and is raised 120ft above the river. Passenger traffic ceased in … Continue reading

Posted in urbex | Tagged

Wardley Colliery

Wardley is now largely a residential area of Gateshead but was once home to a cluster of collieries which employed thousands in the area. It was officially opened in 1855 but boring operations had commenced at the beginning of the … Continue reading

Posted in urbex | Tagged

Ministry of Supply Ammunition Depot, Brasside

There is a woeful amount of information on this site. There is some evidence that it was a WWII Ministry of Supply Ammunition Depot. The formation and construction of the bunkers is similar to other ammo storage sites both retired … Continue reading

Posted in urbex | Tagged

Cambokeels Fluorite Mine

Cambokeels Mine was built on an abandoned medieval village, opening initially in 1847 as a lead mine. Poor yields lead to closure in 1871. The mine lay dormant until 1906 when it was re-opened and worked for fluorspar. Cambokeels closed … Continue reading

Posted in urbex | Tagged