Victoria Viaduct


The Victoria Viaduct spans the River Wear and was originally part of the Durham Junction Railway, later becoming part of the Leamside line. The bridge was opened in 1838 and is raised 120ft above the river. Passenger traffic ceased in 1964 following the Beeching Axe and the bridge continued to carry freight traffic until 1991 after which it closed permanently.

The track has been lifted recently and a number of repairs to the original sandstone have taken place over the past 30 years.


This entry was posted in urbex and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.