Broomielaw Signal Box

23458168702_d7d8db2e14_k

It may seem bizarre now that a private station train station should exist but prior to the development of road and air transport the railway was the most effective means of travelling long distance.

Investors in passenger stations sought to place them where they would have the best return, but at the time it was entirely possible for a private individual to build their own station and feed it onto one of the main lines.

Broomielaw was a private halt built for the Bowes-Lyon family in 1856 who lived in nearby Streatham Castle. It was opened up to the public in 1942 and had a small amount of freight traffic which was controlled by the signal box still extant today. Beeching’s Axe closed the entire line down in 1965 and the station has been derelict ever since.

23566754015_ba12d6c7f7_k22938507474_0fcbc817ec_k23198788579_d0ad49b898_k23484273511_e330c21b90_k

This entry was posted in urbex and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.